On Wed, Mar 08, 2023 at 12:20:00PM +0100, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
Hi,

Jens Berg <jens.b...@vtech-iad.de> (Mi 08 Mär 2023 10:06:34 CET):
She does in the moment a tape (= slot) is re-used.
Remember that amanda was initially designed to work with tapes and that

Olivier <olivier.nic...@cs.ait.ac.th> (Mi 08 Mär 2023 11:46:37 CET):
While the tape/slot could free the level 1 dumps for a-disk, there could be
some DLE for other disks/hosts that are still valid on that tape/slot.

Yes, I know that amanda was designed for tapes initially (and I'm still
using it happily with tapes.).

The "disk garbage collection" was just a minor issue I found when
checking what space is available on one of our disk based backup
servers.

Thanks for the input.

Thinking outside of amanda provided tools:

1. Assuming tar is your backup program, the "garbage" files do still
   contain recoverable data.  I did make use of this "once" to recover
   a file deleted just before that oldest full dump.

2. The files on vtapes are named such that a find(1) command could be
   constructed to scan the backup disks looking for the "garbage" files
   (they would be "older" than the oldest full dump) and either list
   them or delete them.

jl

--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@labadie.us
 154 Milkweed Dr                 (540) 868-8052 (H)