Fernan Aguero [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

>[I've tried also building amanda --with-user=amanda and creating the
>user to no avail]

>The only thing that works is letting amanda have a login shell in
>/etc/passwd, which I guess is the wrong thing to do (from a security
>standpoint).

Hi!  It's possible to give Amanda a shell, but set the password in both
/etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd to '*'.  In this case, the user _can't_
be used to login (no password encrypts to '*').  This means that the only
way for anyone to use the user amanda is to su from root -- and if they have
access to the root account, why do they need the amanda account anyways?

HTH,
Ricky