[quote="Gene Heskett"]On Monday 08 March 2010, rory_f wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> In your case, two things.  Is it the last drive on the cable?, and is it
> terminated properly?  And I would certainly check the 5 volt line of the host
> computer to see if its sagging in its old age. 4.85 volts won't cause the
> host to reset itself, but it does put the noise margin of a scsi buss in
> danger.  You need every millivolt you can get there.

It is setup as such:

Overland tape library, drive inside it. Drive connects to library via one
cable, then another cable connects to scsi card in linux machine - It has been
setup like this for a couple of years now.

It could  very well be the cable degrading, or the card in the linux machine.
That is something I am yet to check. Our other drive is being replaced today
(For a NEW ibm lto 3 drive) so hopefully i can test that one - if i get th same
issues ,we can say it is something else other than the drives.

I'll let you all know what i find.

Thanks.