Greetings again; same problem revisited

So I'll give the circumstances, then show a report I was emailed, and ask
the same question I've asked in a couple of previous messages.

server is this machine, running amanda-3.3.7p1, compiled with this
script:
==========================
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the"
        echo "user amanda, but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local/ \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --enable-manpage-build  \
        --with-readline \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar
echo "sleeping for reading configures warnings"
echo "a make as amanda will continue after 75 seconds..."
sleep 75
make

===============

client machine is a Raspberry pi 3b, running the raspbian build of
jessie.
The amanda-client on the r-pi is:
pi@raspberrypi:/GenesAmandaHelper-0.61 $ sudo apt show amanda-client
Package: amanda-client
Source: amanda
Version: 1:3.3.6-4
Maintainer: Jose M Calhariz <jose.calha...@netvisao.pt>

My "excludes" files all live in my /GenesAmandaHelper-0.61 subdir that
has been built on each machine to be complete enough that the path to
the excludes is identical on all machines.  That path is listed in the
dumptype for each machine. In this manner, the excludes files are at the
same location on each machine, relative to that machines root "/"
directory.

That excludes file on the pi:
==========================
./*.iso
.gvfs
./Ksocket-gene
./orbit-gene
./boot
./dev
./proc
./run
./sys
./R-Pi_nc_files
./tmp
==========================

The problem is that in normal operation, the ./R-Pi_nc_files is an sshfs
mount linked to rotating media on this machine since the pi boots from a
micro-sd card that doesn't need the wear on the sd card that would be
implied by putting LinuxCNC's data files on the sd card. The user number
is the same, and its backed up by the normal operation of amanda on this
machine.

Now, snipped from the email:
=======================
STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
  /-- raspberrypi.coyote.den / lev 1 STRANGE
  sendbackup: start [raspberrypi.coyote.den:/ level 1]
  sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
  sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/tar -xpGf - ...
  sendbackup: info end
  ? /bin/tar: ./home/pi/linuxcnc/R-Pi_nc_files: Warning: Cannot stat:
Permission denied
  | Total bytes written: 40345600 (39MiB, 2.0MiB/s)
  sendbackup: size 39400
  sendbackup: end
  \--------
======================

This happens randomly, but I don't recall if I've ever seen it happen
when the sshfs mount hadn't been done. It might even be related to
wether or not LinuxCNC is running since I believe it opens a path to
that directory and keeps it open when its running regardless of whether
its actually doing anything. In any event, the usr numbers are the same
as the installer installs pi as user 1000, whereas thru the rest of my
system, me, gene is user 1000.

So the question is in 2 parts.

1. just where the heck does the client look for its excludes file?

I have assumed that complete path in the dumptype is passed to the
client, but maybe I'm wrong in that assumption. However, removing say of
the other entries like ./boot generates all sorts of not on same
filesystem complaints, so I believe the client is finding the correct
excludes file/list.

2. And since it obviously skipped the rest of the entries in that exclude
list, why isn't it skipping this, regardless of any open paths to it,
and regardless of whether the sshfs mount is in effect?

Its a puzzle I'd like to solve.

Thanks everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)