I've found what appears to be a bug in the 3.4 release of amanda: under
some circumstances, amanda overwrites a tape that was just written. an
example from a backup to tape:

These dumps were to tape RAIDsSet6-35.
The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: RAIDsSet6-36, RAIDsSet6-37.

taper: tape RAIDsSet6-35 kb 2077738050 fm 308 [OK]
taper: tape RAIDsSet6-35 kb 356540480 fm 61 [OK]

as you can see, I have runtapes=2, and amanda seems to know that, yet it has
overwritten the first part of the dump with the second. looking at the tape
I've verified that there are only 61 files on tape 6-35.

I made a test case using virtual tapes, and found the same thing:

These dumps were to tape TEST-04.
The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: TEST-05, TEST-06.

taper: tape TEST-04 kb 614240 fm 1 [OK]
taper: tape TEST-04 kb 350240 fm 1 [OK]

and the size of TEST-04 is indeed around 350G.

any thoughts as to what's going on? the amanda.conf and disklist are the
same ones I used under 3.3.x, and I didn't see this problem then. I've just
joined this list, so I'm not sure about sending attachments (like
amanda.conf).

--
Ned Danieley (ned.danie...@duke.edu)
Department of Biomedical Engineering