On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:39:17PM +1100, Simon Michnowicz wrote:
> Dear Mailing List
> I am just new to Amanda Community Edition and was wondering how easy it was
> to configure it to use OpenStack object storage. I notice an Amazon S3
> device
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Backup_to_Amazon_S3
> but do not know how to change this to point to a particular swift storage
> server.  Are there any examples I could look at to see how this works? Id

Sorry, no idea on this
> be also interested in how Amanda determines if a file needs to be updated
> on the storage. Does it have its own internal DB or does it look inside the
> virtual tapes to do this?

Amanda is a backup manager.  It leaves mant details to the underlying
backup program you elect to use.  For most this would be tar or dump.
These record when the last dump was done and check if any change has
occured since that time.  Most likely this is done by comparing the
last dumpdate with the files "ctime" (change time).  This would
account for changes to the data or to the file's properties, eg.
link count, permissions, etc.  You can see a file's ctime with
"ls -lc".

Welcome to the world according to amanda.
Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)