On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 09:40:18 -0400, hy...@lactose.homelinux.net wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I've been using Amanda 3.3.7 for a while with no problems.  I'm building
> a new machine, and I installed Amanda 3.4.3 .
>
> I'm having a problem backing up file systems that have mounted file systems
> under them.  For example, I have these two disks mounted:
>
> /dev/sda4 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw)
>
> and I have this DLE:
>
> alfred /boot simple-gnutar-local
>
> The backup process hangs.  However, as soon as I umount /boot/efi, the
> backup runs perfectly.  If I remount /boot/efi, then the backup will
> hang again.

My impression is that the GNUTAR program is considered obsolete,
superceeded by the (more flexible) amgtar application plugin.
Since you are setting up a new server should consider making the switch
now as part of your new setup....

In any case, one fairly easy debugging step is to create an amgtar-based
dumptype and try that out instead of "simple-gnutar-local".

(For what it's worth, I am in the process of setting up a new Amanda
3.4.x server, and haven't had any hang when backing up my / partition
even though it has a number of filesystems mounted under it.  I haven't
tried a scenario where the mounted filesystem was vfat, though.)

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239