Hi Keith,

Let me try to explain why it works.  First some abbreviations:

H20      = High 20 periods ago

HHV20  = Highest High Value over the last 20 periods

The original MetaStock logic (using my terminology) is:

If (H20 >= HHV20, HHV20, if(H20 < HHV20, PREV, 0));

The conditions H20 >= HHV20 and H20 < HHV20 are mutually exclusive, in other
words when H20 >= HHV20 is false, H20 < HH20 is always true.  This means the
third result of 0 in the original equation can never be true and thus the
following equation is equivalent to the original:

If (H20 >= HHV20, HHV20, PREV);

The MetaStock PREV concept is a little difficult to grasp.  In your formula,
PREV is not the previous bar's value of HHV20 as you had coded in your
original email.  PREV is the previous bar's value of the statement "if (H20
>= HHV20, HHV20, PREV)".  I could have coded the function as a loop which
may be more understandable because it does not introduce new AFL functions
into the mix:

H20 = Ref(H,-20);

HHV20 = HHV(H,20);

High_DOTS = Null;

for (i=1 i<BarCount; i++ {

       if (H20[i] >= HHV20[i])

              High_DOTS[i] = HHV20[i];          // true condition

       else

              High_DOTS[i] = High_DOTS[i-1];    // false condition =
MetaStock PREV

}

My approach in my last post uses the AFL function ValueWhen() to implement
the MetaStock PREV condition.  I'll add comments to the code to try to
explain what it's doing:

// In this equation, I substituted the PREV function with the value 0.  Thus
the tmp array has the value HHV20 when the condition

// H20 >= HHV20 is true and 0 when the PREV function is false;

tmp = IIf(Ref(High,-HH)>=HHV(High,HH),HHV(High,HH),0);

// The ValueWhen() function updates all tmp array 0 values with the last
HHV20 value of the tmp array when

// the condition H20 >= HHV20 was true.  Thus the tmp2 array is the tmp
array with all the 0's replaced by the

// last HHV20 value when the condition H20 >= HHV20 was true

tmp2 = ValueWhen(Ref(High,-HH)>=HHV(High,HH),tmp);

// This formula represents the original MetaStock formula where the true
condition gets it's value from the HHV20 array

// and the false condition gets it's value from the tmp2 array.

High_DOTS = IIf(Ref(High,-HH)>=HHV(High,HH),HHV(High,HH),tmp2);

It's all a little difficult to explain, but hopefully by understanding how I
simplified the MetaStock logic, showing how the PREV function works in a
loop, and by adding comments to my original AFL code you can understand what
I did.

It's really not so genius after all. :-)

Regards,

David

  _____