Hi all,

How do you define "failure"?

Is the nature of it's failure important? (ie it might fail
quickly,  or it might fail slowly).

>From my experience, it is actually very hard to quantitavely
determine if and when a system is actually failing. I still
don't know and  I've been trading for over 10 years, 6
or so as my sole source of income.

A lot of reading that I've done seems to indicate that a
lot of strategies get arbitraged out of the market over time,
but do not totally disappear. One example was a study of
some common pattern based TA in the US futures markets
- Head and Shoulders, triangles etc. It seemed to indicate
that returns from these patterns have been diminishing
gradually and steadily  for the last 20 or so years.

This makes sense. I think that there is an underlying
assumption in TA that statistics for markets don't change.
I think this is false. Markets are a game ( in the
mathematical sense.) You aren't measuring an absolute
attribute in nature, you are trying to find a strategy
that beats your opponent(s).

I like to think of it this way. Can you sit down and
gather statistics of all the chess games ever played
and use those statistics to become a successful
player ( for a given value of success)? Maybe,
maybe not.

When Deep Blue played Kasparov,
Deep Blue "analysed" all the games that
Kasparov played. Kasparov complained that he
did not get a chance to look at Deep Blue's
"learning" games. So statistics definitely help,
but I don't know if it's the be-all end-all. It's
also important to know that Kasparov felt a lot
of pressure, and (as far as we know) Deep Blue
did not.

To be successful in trading, I think you need a
strategic overlay to the statistical insights offered
by TA. I also think that the objective nature of
TA takes off a lot of the pressure in diffucult times.
It's during those difficult times that you will be
making decisions which have the most
potential to "make or break" your account.

Robert Z