--- On Mon, 6/28/10, Reid Crowe <reid.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Reid Crowe <reid.cr...@gmail.com>
> Subject: [amsat-bb]  Pass prediction algorithm
> To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
> I'm trying to write my own pass
> prediction program for tracking FM
> satellites.  This program will this notify the users
> of upcoming passes
> via APRS messaging.  I would like to find an algorithm
> that will predict
> AOS/LOS time and azimuth and the  maximum
> elevation.  I'm also hoping
> this algorithm will not be too computationally intensive as
> it may
> possibly be used for hundreds of different station
> locations.
>
> Can anyone help?

I'd suggest looking at books on spacecraft mechanics.

One which may help is "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Roger R. Bate, Donald
D. Meuller, and Jerry E. White (published by Dover).  It's one of the better
books on the subject, in my opinion, as I found it easier to read than many of
the others I've seen.  One does need some familiarity with calculus and linear
algebra in order to understand the theory, however, but it's not overwhelming.

Another one is "Modern Spacecraft Dynamics & Control" by Marshall H. Kaplan
(published by John Wiley & Sons).  It's good, too, but I didn't find it as easy
to go through as the other one.

73s

Bernhard VA6BMJ @ DO33FL