I know someone who had similars problems (impossible to connect) with the official MSN client, on a slow connection, and it was due to his enormous contact list, the time it takes for the list to be loaded made the server cancel the connection... maybe you should make sure you have 40- contacts if your connection is that bad... make sure you also remove the users from the 4 lists (preferences->privacy).. reverse list, you obviously can't do anything about it..

KaKaRoTo