Many questions..

-Do you still crash if you change
::skin::loadPixmap sendbutton
for
::skin::loadPixmapsendbutton_hover
inside  # New pixmap-skinnable button (For Windows and Unix > Tcl/Tk 8.3)

If YES:
Replace the sendbutton by:
button $sendbutton -image [::skin::loadPixmap sendbutton] \
-command "::amsn::MessageSend $w $text" \
(I removed all options except command and image).

Do you have the problem with ALL skins? Including Default skin.