On Wed, 3 May 2006, Youness Alaoui wrote:

> I think we all agree that the guy shouldn't be judged from his level of
> english.. but I think Vivia meant to say that the english/the words he
> used were inappropriate, inpolite and that's why he should 'learn how to
> talk', I think viv didn't express herself correctly by talking about
> grammar and syntax rules, but it probably went along when she said
> punctuations (which yes, if you don't even take the time to punctuate
> your text, it shows you have no respect for the people you write to)

Yes, Youness, you almost got my point. Alvaro got it exactly. I don't mind
grammar/spelling mistakes, as long as the whole text is, first,
understandable, second, polite. I do mind grammar/spelling mistakes if
they make the text incomprehensible! This is why I talked about grammar,
spelling and punctuation, I couldn't make sense out of that text. Of
course I'm not expecting anyone to speak perfect English (after all, who
am I to judge?), but some basic rules can be followed and a spellchecker
can be used.

Most of us speak English as a foreign language, we all have been to this
level where you hesitate before forming one simple phrase - still, I would
be ashamed to send out an email like this. Worst case scenario, if you
feel too insecure, you can ask for help from someone else, or at least
write a "PS: sorry for my English".

Vivia