As I have had similar, unexplainable problems with certain banner ad buys, I wonder
if some of the ad-tracking services might be buggy in some way--say, passing a bad
destination URL to the browser, and counting that as a click-through because,
indeed, they did click through to something--but no page on our site! I can't
confirm this, but I suspect it happens, maybe more often than advertisers would
admit or even know.

Using the Internal Search report and a specific target URL offers a much better
basis for evaluating the success of ad buys or other external links into your site.
Good luck!

james

<<< [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/30  3:44p >>>

>the problem is either 1) the site refers from numerous, multiple
>URLs that may
>differ from their main commercial URLs; and 2) the referrals may
>come from an
>ad-server address rather than the actual commercial site.

I realized that, but after I excluded everything I knew for certain
would not be them, the total referrers left (from all types of misc
places) was less than the click-throughs they reported.  So, if they
are telling the truth - no referrer was recorded.

>URLs ending with "source=advertisername." Then the Internal Search
>report organizes
>all such click-through counts in one place.

I like that!

Kathleen ~~~