On 10/4/2009 4:47 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
Every Apache server we have logs all hits to one log, which is rolled
nightly.  Summary used built in ftp to pull down only the new log
files.  Is there a provision to get logs from remote machines, or will
I need to look at something like rsync to make this happen?

Analog just analyzes the logfiles, it doesn't do any logfile "management", so you'd have to handle that yourself.

What would be the best way to manage this then.

How long is a piece of string? Different people will set it up in different ways.

Consider a system where there acre apache access_logs from 10 machines. There is an 11th machine that will do analog. I have a log rolling on 24 hours, which means, I could rsync the remote logs directories of the 10 machines and keep all 24 hour log files up to date. However, the like log, access_log, that is in progress, needs to come over just before analog runs. This, with incremental, gives the client, what appears to be near real time stats.

It really depends on the size of the logfiles. When the client is looking for "real time" stats, are they just interested in the last hours worth of activity? Rather than having a machine churning away 24 hours a day generating "real time" charts that get over-written every 5 minutes, I'd be more inclined to use something like the Analog Form interface to allow the user to generate the report "on demand".

I could run rsync every 4 minutes, and have analog run very 5, but this is a poor method, as times get out of sync, some logs are larger than others etc. I am going to assume analog is triggered by scheduler?

You can trigger it by scheduler, or manually (though a cgi-type form, in this case - http://analog.cx/docs/form.html)

I understand analog is one of the most popular, though if it is not a good suit for a large shared hosting environment, please let me know. I have seen where logs are dropped into the virtual hosts client directory, and analog is set as an option to point to just that users files. I however, prefer to parse out my entire facilities worth o f logs.

Analog can generate reports for the whole facility from a set of "combined" logs, or from a bunch of "per host" logs - it's simply a matter of configuration. If you're going to allow the user to customize their own reports, there's less chance of inadvertently giving them access to someone else's log data if you generate separate logfiles, but it's really just a matter of preference. (Your preference, and your customers - some customers pay scant attention, or only sporadic attention to their logs, others may spend a lot of time delving in to them).

Analog is extremely flexible, and is often used in large hosted environments. But there isn't one "right" way to deploy it - it really does depend on what you want to achieve.

Aengus