I have been testing with the 'file://' prefix and got the following
results:

When saving an .apk file in the private directory of my application
and trying to invoke the system installation UI, an parse error
occured due to permission issues:
  07-02 07:15:27.826: WARN/zipro(726): Unable to open zip '/data/data/
test.calle.helloworld/files/AndroidHelloWorld.apk': Permission denied
  07-02 07:15:27.826: DEBUG/asset(726): failed to open Zip archive '/
data/data/test.calle.helloworld/files/AndroidHelloWorld.apk'
  07-02 07:15:27.846: WARN/PackageParser(726): Unable to read
AndroidManifest.xml of /data/data/test.calle.helloworld/files/
AndroidHelloWorld.apk
  07-02 07:15:27.846: WARN/PackageParser(726):
java.io.FileNotFoundException: AndroidManifest.xml
  07-02 07:15:27.856: WARN/PackageInstaller(726): Parse error when
parsing manifest. Discontinuing installation

When I saved the .apk file on the SD card, everything went as supposed
and the system installation UI was displayed.

So far so good. However, I only want a downloaded .apk file to be
installed on the same phone which downloaded it. If the application is
placed on the SD card, wouldn't it be possible to use the same SD card
in another phone (or copy the .apk file to another SD card used by
another phone) and install the application on that phone too? Am I
correct in these assumtions?

With regards to what I wrote above, is it somehow possible to restrict
an application file from beeing installed on any other phone except
the very same phone which downloaded the .apk file (using my
application)? Is system rights needed? I suppose this problem
shouldn't exist if I was able to save the .apk file in the private
directory of my application and then invoke the system install UI on
the file.

Regards,
Calle