> Mark Murphy wrote:
> Only if you are creating your own firmware or are contributing
> modifications to the Android open source project:
>
> http://source.android.com
>
> Ordinary Java applications can use Java sockets, but only for their own
> application -- they cannot affect other applications' network activity
> (e.g., filtering).

Fair enough. I will look into this.

> Note that "prevent usage/installation of external browsers" runs counter
> to Android's user-centric model. That's not to say it cannot be done,
> but you definitely will be swimming uphill.

The reason I am asking these types of questions is that we are looking
to write parental control software for the Android. A custom browser
that we control and filter is certainly a option. However, it doesn't
do much good to have a parental control enabled browser if the user
(child) simply has to launch the pre-installed or other alternative
browser to get around it. I'm not asking to "hijack" a Android, but
are there legit methods for "locking down" a device?

Bryan