Mark,

Action with namespace works. Thanks.

Here is how the application works now. Main activity is "controlled"
by SharedPreference changes:

* Main activity displays a list of thingies of Type "X"

* User selects the Type from a ListPreference in a PreferenceActivity
with its own separate screen.

If the user clicks:

   Menu -> Preferences -> "Select thingy type" -> "A"

the preference screen appears and after "A" is selected from the
ListPerference,  the PreferenceActivity will finish after setResult
with "A"
as a parameter through an intent. This intent is to start a new Main
Activity with
onActivityResult.

Later on, user may repeat same process with type "B".

So the thingies that Main activity displays depend on when & how
SharedPreferences are changed.

SharedPreferences.OnSharedPreferenceChangeListener may still work for
my app but user interaction flow may need changes.

Thanks again.