I'm trying to do the same thing as the original poster: That is, have
one APK, resulting in multiple icons in the Launcher app tray, each
icon launching a different Activity within my APK. Seems like a simple
thing, but it's not working for me.

I've posted my AndroidManifest.xml below. The behavior I'm seeing is
that I indeed get two icons in the Launcher app tray -- an icon for
Foobar1, and another icon for Foobar2. Both icons work as expected if
they're the first thing I click. That is, icon Foobar1 launches
Activity Foobar1, and icon Foobar2 launches Activity Foobar2.

However, if I launch Foobar1, then hit the home key (not the back
key!), then try to launch Foobar2, what I get is Foobar1 -- and vice
versa.

It seems like if either Foobar1 or Foobar2 are already instantiated
within the app's task, and I go back to the Launcher and attempt to
launch either Foobar1 or Foobar2, the Launcher simply brings my
already existing task to the foreground showing whatever Activity was
previously on top.

Any pointers? Thanks!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
    package="com.foobar"
    android:versionCode="1"
    android:versionName="1.0">
    <application android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="Foobar">
        <activity android:name=".Foobar1" android:label="Foobar1">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN"/>
                <category
android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER"/>
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
        <activity android:name=".Foobar2" android:label="Foobar2">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN"/>
                <category
android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER"/>
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
    </application>
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="3"/>