Hello, I am in some kind of a fix... I have been reading around the
subject above and I think Android materials available are very patchy,
and the Android documentation is not very useful without enough
experience. I have never worked with cookies in Java (only PHP)- and
the pages I have read don't discuss both initial AUTHENTICATION and
COOKIES together. And I am finding it difficult to bring together a
working program here. My idea is- I have a form that the user inputs
his credentials, on the click of the button the credentials are passed
to the server, the server responds with a cookie, and this is stored
for future use.

As per the piece of code below, is it possible to make the two
methods: authenticate() and xCookies() (receives, store and set
cookies with requests) work together?

If not please tell me how I can achieve the desired goal (preferably
using HTTP class vis-a-vis URL).

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

public class XClient extends Activity
 {
                EditText username;
                EditText password;
                TextView userTv;
                TextView pwdTv;
         @Override
                public void onCreate(Bundle icicle){

                        super.onCreate(icicle);
                        setContentView(R.layout.main);
                        login();
         }

           protected void login()
               {
                username = (EditText)findViewById(R.id.userNameLbl);
                password = (EditText)findViewById(R.id.pwdText);
                pwdTv = (EditText)findViewById(R.id.pwdLbl);
                userTv =(TextView)findViewById(R.id.userNameText);

                String userId = username.getText().toString();
                        String userPwd = password.getText().toString();

                Button loginBtn = (Button)this.findViewById(R.id.authButton);
                loginBtn.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener()
                {
                        public void onClick(View v)
                        {
                                authenticate(userId, userPwd);

                        }
                });}

                   public void authenticate(String token1, String token2)//
Supposed
to handle authentication
                   {
                            HttpClient client = new DefaultHttpClient();
                            client.getParams().setParameter("http.useragent",
"My
Browser");

                            HostConfiguration host =
client.getHostConfiguration();
                            host.setHost(new URI("http://localhost:8080";,
true));
                            Credentials credentials = new
UsernamePasswordCredentials
("token1", "token2");
                            AuthScope authScope =new AuthScope(host.getHost(),
host.getPort());
                            HttpState state = client.getState();
                            state.setCredentials(authScope, credentials);
                            GetMethod method = new GetMethod("www.gmail.com");

                            try{
                              client.executeMethod(host, method);
                              System.err.println(method.getStatusLine());

System.err.println(method.getResponseBodyAsString());
                            } catch(Exception e) {
                              System.err.println(e);
                            } finally {
                              method.releaseConnection();
                            }
                  }
//xCookies uses CookieManager class to store received cookie, and
sends the cookie with subsequent requests
                private void xCookies()
                {
                        CookieManager cm = new CookieManager();
                        try {
                            URL url = new URL("www.gmail.com");
                            URLConnection conn = url.openConnection();
                            conn.connect();
                            cm.storeCookies(conn);
                            System.out.println(cm);
                            cm.setCookies(url.openConnection());