On Aug 25, 4:41 pm, Xavier Ducrohet <x...@android.com> wrote:
> I see that you have changed the location of the user folders (in S:
> instead of C:)

There are user folders on both S: and C:.  Only the Desktop and My
Documents special folders are on S:.  Everything else (including App
Data) is on C:.  [The documents are shared between operating systems
on different partitions]

Android (or Eclipse?) has been the only thing to use S:.

> When the user location is not the default one, we have seen some cases
> where windows reports the location of the user folder differently
> depending on which API you use (the command line tool and Eclipse use
> a Java API, while the emulator use a windows C++ API).

That would explain why the command line tools and Eclipse could see
my_avd just fine, but the emulator could not find it.

But, shouldn't Android be set up to use HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH?  Standard
environment variables.

> You can override the behavior of both by declaring an environment
> variable called ANDROID_SDK_HOME
> Make it point to your HOME folder (S:\Documents and Settings\Phoenix\
> in this case) and both the emulator and the java based tools will read
> and write into the same folder.
>
> Xav

How did Android end up using S: in the first place?  At that time,
couldn't it set up it's own ANDROID_SDK_HOME variable to explicitly
say which directory it would be using?  (Of course, if it used
HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH this would be unnecessary.)

Also, a single line in the installation instructions could have
prevented this confusion.  When Android can see the AVD from the
command line and the Eclipse gui, but not from the emulator, and no
explanation is given (especially on the first test project), it's ...
disheartening.

In any event, with the ANDROID_SDK_HOME variable set to the S:
"home" (which is not the real home directory, that is on C:), the
emulator now works.

Thank you, Xav.  Hopefully if other people experience this odd
problem, they will find this solution.

(I'm still not sure why it isn't working for Tony)