I'd like to get started with Android development by scratching my
biggest itch: the date and time pickers.  I'd like to make them much
more efficient.  Before I dive in, I have some questions:

 * If I change those controls, will I be able to get the result onto my
   Droid without rooting it or waiting for a patch to be accepted
   upstream and pushed to my phone by my carrier?

 * Is such a patch likely to be accepted?

 * Why are those controls implemented as dialog boxes rather than
   intents?

--
Brian