But, then it would be great to get some help understanding the
explanation.

It says (see
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/Location.html)
"The computed distance is stored in results[0]. If results has length
2 or greater, the initial bearing is stored in results[1]. If results
has length 3 or greater, the final bearing is stored in results[2]."

But what does it mean by length 2 or greater?

How can I be sure that I read the correct result by reading
results[0] ?(I assume it is as I have compared it with the actual
physical distance).

The answer might be straightforward, but I would really appreciate
some help on this.

Thank you patience
ckloch