That looks to be the case.  It never made sense to me that we would
have TestProvider code all through the app anyway.

To test Location aware apps now, don't do anything special in your
code (code it like you would for a real production application), but
in Eclipse, open the Emulator Control view to send GPS lat and long.

The docs say you can use a 'geo' app in the tools folder in the SDK,
but it doesn't seem to exist yet.

http://code.google.com/android/toolbox/apis/lbs.html