In the carriers and vendors, guess how they test the device applications:
they download them and start clicking buttons (with obvious test plans and
checkboxes). They also have programs to scan for APIs used so they know what
components the app is using (GPS, network, etc).

I've raised this on a couple of threads but there is no reason that we
couldn't get a dozen or so developers who have the device in the US to help
with testing other people's applications. A couple of hours per week
volunteering could cover a lot of ground. We could even use webcams, so that
the app developer can see the response time and interaction.
Shane