So this shows us how to do 2D on top of 3D.  What is the qualitative
performance hit of this approach on a device with a GPU?  How can 3D
on top of 2D be done?  What of its performance?  :-)

For a limited application, I am trying out the approach of having View
objects render into an OpenGL texture and just having a single OpenGL
renderer that blasts all those textured quads to the screen when
something needs updating.  Has anyone experimented with this?  I'm
currently having problems even creating a TextView in code and having
it render to a canvas:

            TextView tx = new TextView(mView.getContext());
            tx.setText("Nathan");
            tx.setWidth(256);
            tx.setHeight(256);
            tx.draw(canvas);

The call to "tx.draw(canvas);" has no effect on the canvas image.

Any shared wisdom on these topics is appreciated!

-Nathan