I believe that this issue should be addressed by the Android team
since it is of general interest.  My guess is that the virtual machine
reduces speed compared to with native code with a factor of 10 or so.
The only reasonable work-around is to do a mixed implementation where
some of the parts are done in native code using JNI.  It sure isn't
fun, but what's the alternative?

The same applies to cryptography which is much too slow in pure java
on an ARM processor.

Anders