/proc is a (virtual) file system, so you can navigate through it with the
usual File operations. For every process there is a directory /proc/pid
where pid is the processes PID. Under that directory is a whole lot of stuff
relating to that process, such as command line, actual executable, open
files etc etc.
Searching for proc filesystem should give you much more information, but as
hackbod pointed out you do not have any guarantees that the layout will stay
exactly the same over versions/devices etc.Command like ps actually read
from /proc for their output.

Ludwig