I am a T-Mobile customer/Android developer living in Germany, and we
have been promised a device sometime in Q1/2009 (after USA, then UK).

As it takes 90 days to get an officially locked T-Mobile USA device, I
am assuming that all unlocked G1’s currently listed on eBay are fake.
I am also unsure of how well a device apparently *optimised* for T-
Mobile USA 3G frequencies will perform on my local network.

Ironically, for such a developer centric device, they are starving the
community of phones:
e.g. http://www.biggu.com/2008/10/23/t-mobile-says-no-g1-for-you/