Thanks for the early reply Kostya,

      "Since your intent is to launch something on the phone, I don't
see why you would want to detect connection on the Wifi router side. "

Well My Idea was to
i)  Use the phone resource to the minimal
ii) to have control on when to invoke an activity from the server
end.. I thought there would be more dynamism from the server side.
Let me understand if am missing out something.

       "I would suggest you use a Notification, which would launch an
activity when selected , Displaying an Activity in the middle of
whatever the phone user is doing is just plain wrong."

Completely agreed.

       "If you did, you'd be able to use the phone's MAC address as
the unique identifier you require."

is it possible to get the MAC address of our phone  , is
android.provider.Settings.System.ANDROID_ID as the MAC address you wr
talking about , or is there any physical id which is diff from this
android_id