If you have to ask, you probably don't need it. It's used by other
parts of the toolkit, such as the UI thread. That covers the vast
majority of the times you'd  want to use it. There are cases when
doing your own threading when you need to know about its existence,
but those are rare.

Certainly, I wouldn't say "you need to learn about Looper" to anyone
learning about the API. Learn about AsyncTask; that will be a lot more
useful to you -- and avoid many cases of needing your own threading.