I've seen a drop in active install percentage as well. My most popular
app, "Radar Now!" was at 67% for many months then a few weeks ago it
started to drop and now is sitting at 65%. While that may not seem
like a lot, the app has over 700,000 downloads, so it is quite a few.
I had attributed it to Droids filling up their app space and looking
for little used apps to uninstall. On average, 375,000 devices use the
app in a 30 day period so the install percentage may be correct.

It could be that Google has adjusted the active installs to take into
account devices that have been removed from service. It could be as
simple as counting apps per Google account and combined duplicates.
That would make a lot of sense and also show a more accurate figure in
the console.

I would also guess that Google is getting better at figuring things
out with the market and a result of that is a change in statistics.

The bottom line is that it seems to be happening to everyone, so as
the saying goes, "a falling tide lowers all boats."

-John Coryat