On 25 August 2010 10:31, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:

> Er I was referring to helping protect apps against piracy. :}

I would hope LVL supporting more devices should help against piracy ;)

On 25 August 2010 10:31, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:

> And as far as supporting devices that don't have the market app...  really?
>  You want to do that?  Support your app running on devices that haven't
> passed CTS, have no limits on hardware (such as screen sizes), and do who
> knows what when your application calls its APIs?

Yes, I want a simple way to reach out to a market that is likely to be tens
(hundreds?) of millions of users in a couple of years' time.

I see lots of tablets out there that don't run Android Market but run my app
fine (unless I enable LVL, of course).

However, I'm more interested in the Chinese market.

Looking at it another way - I spend loads of time working around
device-specific issues on devices that HAVE passed CTS, so what's the
difference?

Let's suppose a non-CTS device is released and it breaks loads of apps in
the Market. Then people won't buy that device. So the more popular devices
will probably be sufficiently compatible.

On 25 August 2010 10:31, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:

> Anyway, we are pretty focused around Market for app delivery, and Market is
> playing an increasing role in helping developers with that by doing things
> like filtering apps to compatible devices and much much more in the future.
>  Cutting out Market would most likely result in a pretty poor experience for
> both users and developers.

It's not about cutting out the Market - Google has done that by not
supporting paid apps in all but 13 countries. It's about giving devs a
licensing solution to sales made to users who cannot purchase paid apps
through the Market app (either because the Market app does not exist or
because their SIM card has the wrong country code).