You're fighting against the way Android Intents work. The idea is that apps
can register to handle certain types of content, this is what the user has
chosen so it is best to not interfere with that process.

In practice, an out-of-the-box handset will always send http links to the
browser app, which will recognise the .apk extension and treat them as apps.
The user will still need to enable non-Market downloads, but the OS will
take them to the screen to do that so it is reasonably pain-free.

Jim