Are you "fairly new to developing", or fairly new to developing on
Android? If you don't know Java, learning Android is going to be
needlessly frustrating. You should at least know Java at the level of
the "Trails Covering the Basics" at http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
before trying Android: you certainly need to know more than just about
variables, primitives and "a few other things. You need to know about
classes and interfaces. Even Patterns, especially the Model-View-
Presenter pattern, Factory pattern and Factory Method pattern.

But you can skim the trails on Swing and Deployment. There are lots of
analogies between Android SDK and Swing, so some acquaintance with
Swing is helfpul, but you don't need to know it really well.
Deployment is even less relevant.

There are also other Java tutorials that are written to be directed at
novice programmers: but I don't have the URL for any of them handy. If
that is what you need, you should Google it yourself.

Finally, yes, your comment about the tutorials simply presenting the
code is a real problem. To some extent, the Sun tutorials have the
same problem. It's the new trend. But that is why people pay good
money for introductory books that go into more detail; some even have
useful exercises. Those that don't rely on you to invent your own.