I do see this behaviour too (though dev account on emulator and test
account on N1). My next thing to try would be uploading my app (but
not publishing it) to see if that then gives back what I set in the
dev console... Though from previous answers I probably get back
LICENSED which as you say is not very handy for real device testing...