The cooliris Gallery3D code?

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/apps/Gallery3D.git

How is the image cursor created? I assume it's obtained from a
MediaStore query. But if you change to a file uri, the MediaStore will
no longer handle the query...

I think you can obtain the desired results with a MediaStore query and
the original uri if you add a 'selection' that filters on
mySubDirectory:

  contentResolver.query(uri, null,
      MediaColumns.DATA + " like '%/mySubDirectory/%'",
      null, null);