I had this problem on my NexusOne after 2.2 was installed and reported
it on the Android issue forum as issue 9593 (http://code.google.com/p/
android/issues/detail?id=9593).

It appears to be related to a file named smdl2tmp1.asec being left in
the SD card install directory (/mnt/secure/asec or .android_secure).
One you delete the file, the problem goes away.

Please star this issue. No one on the Android project has responded to
my bug report. It appears that the only issues that get attention are
those with a lot of stars.