I've found Ant to be hideously painful in the past...

I ultimately figured out a solution: call ant -v release to cause Ant
to print out exactly what it is doing during a normal project build.
The secret to building a project that relies on library projects
involves calling aapt multiple times with different arguments for each
library project.  Once I figured out how to get the aapt part working
for multiple library projects, the rest was easy.