Just so that we have a trace in the group archives... The instructions
at http://source.android.com/download should work on MacOS and linux,
which are the supported environments. Under Windows, which is not a
supported environment, you're indeed on your own.

Also, you should note that, without using repo (which requires MacOS
or linux), you will not be able to contribute changes back to the
Android Open Source Project. Some people have reported success using
repo in a VMWare environment running linux, hosted on Windows.

(Finally, this thread would probably fit better in android-platform or
maybe repo-discuss, so that android-developers can remain focused on
discussion topics that primarily target application developers using
the SDK).

Cheers,
JBQ