I am trying to register my Activity so that it can be used by the
Activity chooser/picker allowing a user to choose whether or not to
select my application/Activity to complete what they are trying to do.

I want to provide the option for the user to be able to select my
application when they want to send an SMS message and when they want
to place an outgoing call, to try to achieve this I added the
following pieces of code within my Activity tags in my manifest:

<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.SENDTO" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
<data android:mimeType="text/plain" />
</intent-filter>

<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.NEW_OUTGOING_CALL" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
</intent-filter>

However the Activity chooser never appears and the native apps are
used without providing a choice to the user. Can anyone see where I am
going wrong?

EDIT:

I have figured out I need to add

<data android:scheme="sms" />
<data android:scheme="smsto" />

for the SMS message but what do I use for the outgoing call?

EDIT 2:

I have tried the following for the outgoing call:

 <intent-filter>
 <action android:name="android.intent.action.VIEW" />
 <action android:name="android.intent.action.DIAL" />
 <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
 <category android:name="android.intent.category.BROWSABLE" />
 <data android:scheme="tel" />
 </intent-filter>

But again with no luck, has this been blocked from 1.6 on?