Hi Miguel,

I'm getting solid 60 fps on my Samsung Galaxy Spica (800 mhz
processor) for most levels. I have heard that does not work so well in
the HTC Magic...
CPU load is quite balanced between updating the scene and rendering
it, thus I could improve performance by optimizing the update phase
(collision detection is a good candidate) without changing the canvas
approach. I am an OpenGL lover, but unfortunatelly my phone has poor
support for it :(

The biggest problem was the handling of input events. It hurts
performance a lot by default. My solution is to save every motion
event data in the same variable, and processing the most recent one in
the main render loop/thread. This, incidentally, avoids some thread
synchronization problems.