I am trying to create a dialog with a custom title and content views
but am running into ResourceNotFoundExceptions when I try and inflate
the views.

        final TextView titleView = (TextView) View.inflate(activity,
R.id.how_to_play_dialog_title, null);

        final WebView contentView = (WebView) View.inflate(activity,
R.id.how_to_play_dialog_text, null);
"text/html", "utf-8");

        final AlertDialog.Builder builder = new
AlertDialog.Builder(activity);
        builder.setCustomTitle(titleView);
        builder.setView(contentView);

The above code throws the ResourceNotFound on each of the View
inflates even though I have res/layout/how_to_play_dialog.xml as the
follwing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
    android:layout_width="wrap_content"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"

    <TextView android:id="@+id/how_to_play_dialog_title"
              android:layout_width="fill_parent"
              android:layout_height="wrap_content"
              android:text="@string/how_to_play_dialog_title"
              style="@style/dialogTitle"
    />

    <WebView android:id="@+id/how_to_play_dialog_text"
        android:layout_width="wrap_content"
        android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    />
</LinearLayout>

I can retrieve the Views (using findViewById) if I inflate the entire
layout first, but then I need to remove the views from the layout
before adding them to the Dialog.

Can't I just inflate the Views directly, using View#inflate?

The actual stacktrace is:
Caused by: android.content.res.Resources$NotFoundException: Resource
ID #0x7f0a000c type #0x12 is not valid
        at
android.content.res.Resources.loadXmlResourceParser(Resources.java:
1874)
        at android.content.res.Resources.getLayout(Resources.java:731)
        at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:
318)
        at android.view.LayoutInflater.inflate(LayoutInflater.java:
276)
        at android.view.View.inflate(View.java:8665)
        at
au.com.xandar.jumblee.widget.DialogFactory.createHowToPlayDialog(DialogFactory.java:
35)