Are you saying you want to use the GPU to process raw data.. or just
to render graphics?

If it's the former then you'd certainly have to do this from native
code, and I doubt you would be able to access this without root access
on the device.

If it's the latter then the previous poster is correct, however if you
want to offload some of the processing of images and coordinate
translation to the GPU then you may need to use OpenGL.  I'm not 100%
sure how much of the Canvas API is deferred to the GPU but definitely
things like matrix transformations and image buffers are in hardware
with OpenGL.