On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM, David_Fisher <davidfsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, once we call the startService() method, can we keep the service
> alive until its explicitly stopped by the user?

If you use startForeground(), that will help prevent the OS from
stopping your service. However:

-- this will not stop task killers, at least of the 2.1-and-earlier variety
-- for your circumstance, an everlasting service should not be needed

> The
> idea is that when I receive an incoming call, I want to start
> recording and once the status changes to idle, I want to stop the
> recording.

Please listen for the broadcast Intents about phone state changes.
Please do not use a PhoneStateListener for this, forcing you to keep
your service in memory all of the time.

Also, bear in mind that you have no access to the in-call audio, so
unless you are running in speakerphone mode, I fail to see how you can
accomplish your objectives.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Warescription: Three Android Books, Plus Updates, One Low Price!