I do bitmap loading in another thread, but I do glBindTexture in the
main graphics thread. Works well for me, I load bitmaps stored in zips
delivered by contentproviders into textures.

I think opengl es does have mechanisms for sharing textures across GL
contexts, but the above method should be fine, except for a slight
delay when the actual bindtexture happens.

Adam