Ok, just should've searched a little more before giving up! There is a
thread from a year+ back on this that for some reason didn't show up
in my earlier searches - I may have been too focussed on Droid at that
time thinking this is a platform issue (my bad). In case it helps any
one else, this Intent has a data component with a scheme of "file" at
least for the SD card that I am interested in and that needs to be
specified. I guess the APIDemos code should do this as well and save
everyone some trouble...

Thanks!