First of all, I find it odd that the encoding is even specified at
all.  Why not just leave it as the default system encoding?

Secondly, if one is going to specify an encoding, then it should NOT
be ascii.  It should be UTF-8.  After all, the files themselves are
not ascii, they are UTF-8 (or Cp1252).

Thirdly, the Eclipse compiler does not use ascii.  This is why you see
tons of "warning: unmappable character for encoding ascii" when using
ant to compile your project, but you don't see that with Eclipse.

I believe this isn't just a nuance, I believe it to be a bug.  If you
use a non-ascii character, such as a vowel with an accent in any .java
or .xml file, the compiler may not interpret those PERFECTLY VALID
characters correctly.

One can, of course, change it yourself, by looking in <sdk.dir>/tools/
ant, and removing all occurrences of encoding="ascii", but if you have
to do this to make your programs correct, then this indicates a bug in
the toolset.  (At the very least, it should be a changeable property,
such as ${java.encoding}.

But, I would like to know if there is a good reason for overriding the
default Java encoding.

Thanks,
-Matt