I upgraded to the 2.3 SDK and have hit a problem I can't resolve.

First I updated the android plugins for eclipse (3.5.2) to the new
version (8.0.0.v201011171904-77661). Then I used the SDK manager
within eclipse to install the Android SDK 2.3 API 9 package, its
documentation, and the Android SDK platform tools revision 1.

On restarting eclipse I found that every non-library android project
was reporting the same error:

[2010-12-06 21:58:32 - Dex Loader] Unable to execute dex: null
[2010-12-06 21:58:32 -                 ] Conversion to Dalvik format
failed: Unable to execute dex: null

I have tried cleaning the projects, reinstalling the plugins and
changing the declared SDK location. I have confirmed that eclipse has
the latest plugin, that the platform-tools directory exists, as does
the platforms/android-9 directory, and that they contain the correct
files. I switched the plugin into "verbose" for building, but can't
see anything remotely suspicious. I can even run dx manually on the
project bin directory and produce a classes.dex file.

I'm stumped, does anyone have any ideas?

This is on a 32-bit Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx) machine with OpenJDK (IcedTea6
1.8.2) (6b18-1.8.2-4ubuntu2) (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)