Hi,

I have a scenario which requires the Android service from not getting
destroyed when the Activity that started it (through bindService) calls the
unbind. Here it goes...

Step1: The main activity A, starts and renders the UI which contains some
text and a button B.
Step2. Inside the onCreate() method, A calls bindService and starts/binds to
a certain service S (which by the way is an IntentService and a
LocationListener).
Step3: Back on the UI, on click of the button B, the activity A sends a
certain message M to the service S.
Step4: S reads the user's current geo-location and if a fix is available, it
sends this message M along with this geo-location to a certain web service.
Step5: But if the current geo-location (the last known location) is
unavailable or if the web service is unreachable, it queues this message to
send it across later.
Step6: On the UI, the user might exit the application which causes A to do
its onDestroy which in turn calls the unbindService() to unbind from S.

Here's my problem. If the message wasn't sent in Step 5 by the service S and
in Step 6 if the user exits the application, Android kills the service S
because there's no one else bound to it and hence the message it was
supposed to send is forever lost (unless I store it elsewhere to re-send it
if the user restarts my application).

So, is there a better way to do all this or is there a way to prevent S from
getting destroyed if the message queue is not empty. Please help.
Sincere Regards,
Kalyan